What is leadership? Why is it so difficult to pin down?
- It operates at different levels
- In different contexts it is defined differently
- It varies according to your stage of career
- It happens in response to major events
- Is best measured by those who follow
- There are no universal agreed measures
- It changes over time as the world changes
- Is it an individual or team?
- It can be virtual or real time
- Different organisations encourage different styles
- It is described anecdotally or through research (Zenger & Folkman 2004)
Can people define it?
If an academic team ask a group of random people (in this case people on a university campus) do you think people can define it?
See a video of what happens: